Thursday, June 30, 2011

Seed Swap Party

My lovely friend Kimberly planned a fabulous seed swap party. 
I love heirloom seeds for many reasons and fortunately some of my favorite people share the same love.
It was Wonderful to go to a party that didn't involve any guilty feelings or pressure to purchase items that are overpriced.  I seriously have a great dislike for all those Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, and Etc. Parties. 
I always feel like I Should go and then If I go I feel like I must buy something and then I feel guilty because I really Should spend more and I really don't want to.  I just HATE it, it is a big ball of guilt and pressure and it is just not my cup of tea.
But this, oh my this was so different and so absolutely fun in every way!
We all had a great afternoon swapping seeds from our gardens and telling stories and trouble shooting together over garden problems and pests, and generally enjoying each others company and the lovely drinks and desserts that Kimberly prepared for us.



I brought home a awesome variety of seed and I can't wait to try them.
  • Early Purple Vienna Kohlrabi
  • White Dutch Cabbage
  • French Red Rock Cabbage
  • Yates Blue Curled Kale
  • Extra Dwarf Bok Choy
  • White Hailstone Radish
  • Baby Lima
  • Poinsettia Cucumber
  • Mexican Sour Gherkin Cucumber
  • Black Turtle Bean
  • Popcorn - NonGMO
  • Harvest Decorative Corn
  • Purple Sicily Cauliflower
  • Calabrese Broccoli
  • Long White Bunching Onions
  • Prescott Ford Blanc Melon
  • Sleeping Beauty Cantelope
  • Golden Honeymoon Melon
  • Green Globe Artichoke
  • Hyssop
  • Caraway
  • Blue Larkspur
  • Red Star Hibiscus
  • Mixed Hollyhocks



Some of the seeds I shared were:
  • German Pink Tomato
  • Banana Cantelope
  • Red Dragon Carrot
  • Feverfew
  • Amish Neck Pumpkin
  • Chinese Purple Foot Long Bean
  • Red Clover Cover Crop




All the kids (except the babies) occupied themselves outdoors while we chatted and swapped.  They had a great afternoon, too!


But of course, we made extra certain not to leave any of them behind.


I love this sign!  Just because I do, and partly because it is on Steve's barn which makes it even funnier.


Before we headed home we all went out to the garden to look at some particular problem that seems to be plaguing some of Kimberly's squash plants.  I love the Three Sisters planting that she did this year!  Beautiful!


And of course to admire the animals, too!


I am so grateful for such wonderful friends.  I love you guys dearly and I look forward to our next seed and plant swap.  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! you take this gardening stuff seriously!! I planted all of ONE tomato plant (that someone gave me) this year. I would like to do a tad more than that when we have the room again but wow, nothing like this! And this has nothing to do with your post but it's totally cracking me up that your feet are on the wrong legs on that last pic. Thanks for the chuckles! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    I have my legs crossed, you silly goose! Yes, I admit it is a very bad habit and I have no idea where I learned it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading. You are always welcome here. Do leave me a comment or send me mail from my profile page...it truly inspires me to keep blogging. Have a lovely day!