Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Weekend in the Foothills



We spent part of Saturday and all of Sunday in Oconee State Park. It was lovely! and so very much what all of us needed right now.  I wish I would have taken more pictures, maybe next time I will remember.

We had a very relaxed and leisurely Sunday morning around our campfire.

After biking off some extra energy, The Timber wood Brothers( Nicklebee, Freckles and Thunder-Feet)  enjoyed sitting around the fire sipping Peppermint Tea and anticipating a big Pancakes and Sausage Breakfast.

Mr. Thunder-feet himself

We all hiked the Hidden Falls Trail and had some unanticipated excitement when we arrived.
The boys decided to climb the mountain side along the falls and do some exploring. Mister and I sat at the foot of the falls to just enjoy it for a bit.  Several quiet moments passed, but where quickly broken by a piercing shriek. Naturally, my first thought is... Snake! My boys don't normally Shriek about anything.
Nicklebee appeared through the foliage running and sliding and falling down the steep hillside.I have never seen anyone of my boys come down a hill that fast, it was quite something to watch.
A yellow jacket nest had been encountered, most likely he stepped in it.  Yellow jackets were all over his shirt, and on his head. We rapidly removed all clothes and swatted yellow jackets like crazy, while trying to leave the area at the same time.  I am actually surprised that he only got 6 or 7 stings.  I am quite thankful that he is not allergic to them .  Thunder-feet and I both got one sting each and swelled up accordingly.
Needless to say, we didn't hang around.  Further down the trail we reinspected clothes and got him dressed.  I found a little bit of plantain and wished for more.  Then we headed the remaining 2.5 mile back and by the time we got to the truck Nicklebee said his didn't hurt much anymore at all.  Wow!  I was impressed with that.  I wish I was like that!!!!  It has been 3 days and I still have a bruised and red area around my sting.
Say, didn't I read something somewhere in Backpacker about staying on the trails?  Ha!  That just might be some rather good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading. You are always welcome here. Do leave me a comment or send me mail from my profile page...it truly inspires me to keep blogging. Have a lovely day!